Updated: Aug 28
Mangrove is recruiting two interns to work with the partners on developing our business and creative space.
Mangrove has emerged over the last year as a home for creatives and urban culture in Johannesburg. Our vision is to help build a community of artists and activists in the city while living our conscious values and thriving as a successful business. We are a feminist and queer-inclusive space that constantly seeks to collaborate with and support emerging (particularly young and black) talent.
We are looking to recruit two part-time interns to work with the partners on developing different aspects of Mangrove. We are looking for candidates who are smart, committed, values driven and independent-minded - as well as ambitious for Mangrove and their own personal and professional development.
The roles would initially be for a one-month trial starting immediately. We are looking for a commitment of two half-days per week at Mangrove (which would be flexible around availability of the partners and other responsibilities of the interns) as well as some limited remote working throughout the rest of the week. The internship is not salaried but would include a stipend, meals and beverages and some free tickets to our events. If the one-month trial is successful the roles and remuneration would be reviewed.
The positions would be ideally suited to students, especially those based in or around the Braam area.
The Creative Intern will support and provide input into: - All creative aspects at Mangrove
- Design, planning and organisation of events
- Content creation including photography, videos and graphic design
- Marketing including social media and flyering
- Interior design including artworks, furnishing and table settings
The Business Intern will support and provide input into:
- The overall business strategy of Mangrove
- Development of business cases for specific business units (e.g. individual events)
- Collection and analysis of sales data
- Monitoring, allocation and analysis of sales costs, overheads and payments
- Audit and analysis of stock taking, variances and margins
- Audit and analysis of rotas, time sheets and payroll
- Other administrative support duties are required
The interns will be delegated specific tasks under the close supervision of partners and management, while being invited to contribute new ideas to strategy and operations.
The four partners at Mangrove have significant expertise across business strategy, entrepreneurship, leadership development and the creative industries and would seek to provide a rich and supportive learning environment for the interns to contribute to their personal development and professional skills.
To apply please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Tuesday 31st August with: · Your CV outlining your training and experience (max 2 pages) · A brief cover letter outlining who you are as a person, your future plans and your interest in the role